ISO/ IEC JTC1/SC22 N2361

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 17:40:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "william c. rinehuls" <>
Subject: SC22 N2361 - WG6 Minutes of Dec 7 Meeting

___________________________beginning of title page ______________________
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)


January 1997

TITLE:               Minutes of SC22/WG9 (Ada) Meeting on December 7,
                     1997 in Philadephia, Pennsylvania, USA

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           N/A

STATUS:              N/A


DOCUMENT TYPE:       WG9 Meeting Minutes

ACTION:              To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973

_______________________end of title page; beginning of text _____________

Minutes (Not Yet Approved)

Meeting #31 of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9
Saturday, 7 December 1996
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Reported by James W. Moore, Convener (Acting), 703.883.7396

Call to Order: Robert Mathis, Convener

The meeting is convened at 9:00 a.m. in the Marriott Hotel by Robert 
Mathis, convener. He thanks SIGAda and the TriAda'96 conference committee 
for hosting the meeting.

Approval of Agenda

The agenda previously distributed as N321 is approved.

Administrative Arrangements: Robert Mathis, Convener

The convener reports that his retirement from the position will soon 
become effective, because a replacement has been identified.  James W. 
Moore, who has acted as recording secretary for five years, has been 
nominated for the position.  His appointment will become effective upon 
election by SC22.  In the interim, he will act as convener.  Assuming 
that he is elected promptly, his term will run though August 2000.

Approval of Minutes of Meeting #30

The minutes of the Montreux meeting are approved as circulated in N318.

Appointment of Meeting Chair

The Acting Convener, James Moore, is appointed as meeting chair and 
presides over the remainder of the meeting.

Award to Retiring Convener

The orders of the day are briefly suspended for the presentation of an 
award.  Anthony Gargaro, representing the Special Interest Group on Ada 
(SIGAda) of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), presents the 
retiring convener with the Outstanding Ada Community Service Award in
recognition of his accomplishments serving as convener of WG9 as well as
other contributions to the Ada community.  In addition, the convener is 
presented with a smaller award in recognition for past service as 
secretary of AdaTEC, the predecessor of ACM SIGAda.

In remarking upon the award, the Acting Convener notes that several of 
the Heads of Delegation to WG9 had participated in the awards process by 
providing seconds to the Mathis nomination.  He recalls remarks made by 
the Chair of SIGAda that each of the seconds had noted additional 
contributions that Mathis had made to the community.

Appointment of Meeting Secretary

No individual volunteers to serve as the meeting secretary, so Moore 
agrees to prepare the meeting minutes and promises to resolve the 
situation by the next meeting.  [See ACTION ITEM 31-1.]

National Body Reports and Introductions

The heads of delegation introduce themselves and other meeting participants:

Canada: Steve Michell (head), Vincent Celier, David Emery
France: [Jean-Pierre Rosen had previously sent his regrets.]
Germany: Rudolf Landwehr (head), Erhard Ploedereder
Japan: Kiyoshi Ishihata
Russia: Sergey Rybin
Sweden: [Bjorn Kallberg had previously sent his regrets.]
Switzerland: Alfred Strohmeier (head), Stephane Barbey
United Kingdom: John Barnes
United States: John Goodenough (head), Currie Colket, Anthony Gargaro, 
Clyde Roby, Joyce Tokar

In a brief report, Germany notes that 24,000 copies of an Ada CD-ROM 
had been distributed in Germany as an attachment to a computing magazine.

Convener's Remarks

The convener moves directly to a summary report of the SC22 plenary meeting. 

Report of SC22 Plenary Meeting, Convener

[A full report of the plenary was circulated as N322.]  The primary 
subject of discussion at the SC22 plenary was how to achieve wider public 
recognition of the role of ISO standards.  The issue regarding copyrights 
was discussed extensively.  ISO now requires that all working documents 
at all levels carry ISO copyrights.  In general, participants at both 
the SC22 and JTC1 levels believe that this is an undesirable policy 
because it will hurt public access to the ISO process, hence decreasing 
public recognition of ISO's role.  JTC1 is planning to protest the policy 
changes to ISO.

The convener also notes that SC22 continues to move toward greater use 
of electronic distribution methods.  The SC22 Secretariat has announced 
that they are willing to accept email ballots.

Review of Old Action Items

Open action items are reviewed.  Their disposition, as well as a summary 
of new action items, are listed in an appendix to these minutes.

Scheduling of Meeting #32

The United Kingdom states that WG9 is welcome to conduct Meeting #32 on 
2 June 1997 in conjunction with the Ada-Europe conference in London.  
Canada proposes that the meeting be conducted in conjunction with the 
JTC1/SC22 plenary, 18-22 August 1997, in Ottawa.

During discussion, it is noted that broader issues of meeting frequency 
are relevant.  The question of selecting from the two offers is broadened 
to one of selecting between two possible meeting schedules:

Schedule A:
	Meeting #32: August 1997, Ottawa
	Meeting #33: June 1998, with Ada-Europe (probably in Scandinavia)

Schedule B:
	Meeting #32: June 1997, London
	Meeting #33: Nov 1997, with Tri-Ada in St. Louis
	Meeting #34: June 1998, with Ada-Europe (probably in Scandinavia)

The discussion centers upon which of the two schedules provides a more 
appropriate frequency of meetings.  Schedule B is adopted on a 4-2 vote 
of national bodies.

It is informally decided that Rapporteur Groups should be encouraged to 
meet in Ottawa on the proposed dates.  [See ACTION ITEM 31-3.]

The Acting Convener thanks Canada for its fine proposal.

Report of ASIS Rapporteur Group: Currie Colket, Chair
Project 22.15291 (NWI ASIS)

[The ASIS Working Draft is available through both the ftp site: 
"" in "public/AdaIC/work-grp/asiswg/asis/v2.0". 
Or through the ASIS Home Page "".] 

[At Meeting #30, WG9 determined that the method for approval of the ASIS 
Working Draft would be a 60-day letter ballot. The ASIS Working Draft had
not been submitted for ballot earlier as it was not ready.]

A status is presented as follows:

o WG9 comments from Meeting #30 were incorporated into ASIS Version 2.0.j 
(1 November 1996) 
  - Rationale was desirable: A rationale is now included in Annex D; it 
addresses rationale for code analysis as well as rationale for ASIS 
  - Index was possibly desirable: An index was not included, but could 
be easily included in the Committee Draft, if desired. It would add 
another 30-50 pages.
  - All packages to be child packages of ASIS: The package architecture 
now has all ASIS interfaces as child packages of ASIS.
  - Statement made on error processing and the effect of multiple threads 
of controls (tasking safeness): Done, however, the interface makes no 
claims to be tasking safe.
  - All examples to be compiled and working to the current specification: 
Examples 1 and 3 have been compiled and work (on a slightly earlier version)
; Example 2 has recently been given to DDC-I to test, but no results as 
yet [It uses semantic queries which are not yet implemented in ASIS for 
  - Number of minor editorial errors: All corrected.

o AJPO technical review: the AJPO has initiated a detailed technical 
review of the ASIS Working Draft by both CACI and EDS. 

o An ASIS BOF was held on 4 December 1996. It included presentations by:
  - Currie Colket - An overview of ASIS. 
  - Joyce Tokar - Technical aspects of ASIS. 
  - Dan Ehrenfried - Approaches to building tools using ASIS
  - Sergey Rybin - Presentation/demonstration on the ASIS for GNAT

o Since the June WG9 meeting, several ASIS implementations are emerging. 
These include:
  - DDC-I (to ASIS version 2.0.e (1 June 1996), rather complete). It was 
noted that the ASIS 95 browser demonstrated at Tri-Ada'96 was built in 
less than a week. 
  - ASIS for GNAT (to ASIS version 2.0.j (1 November 1996) syntactic 
queries only; semantic queries in near future). 
  - Rational (hybrid of ASIS 83 and ASIS 95; Rational will migrate to 
ASIS 95 interfaces in near future.) 
  - Aonix (in process of developing ASIS interface; should be available 
in spring or early summer). 
  - Concurrent (formerly Harris Computing Systems) is planning for an 
ASIS interface as they build their Ada 95 compiler.

It is noted that Intermetrics and Green Hills can leverage the Aonix ASIS 
interface and TLD can leverage the ASIS for GNAT implementation. R&R 
Software, OC Systems, and Irvine Compiler Corporation have no immediate 
plans for ASIS implementations. 

o The Rapporteur Group held a meeting on 3 December. Additional updates 
were added to the specification, including input from the AJPO review. 
A decision was made to submit the resulting ASIS Working Draft to WG9 
at this meeting, requesting the commencement of the 60-day ballot.

The ASIS Working Draft consists of 3 Microsoft Word files:

  - ASIS_CD1.DOC - contains the Table of Contents, Forward, General, and 
ASIS Technical Concepts 
  - ASIS_CD2.DOC - contains the compilable ASIS Interface (Sections 3-23)
  - ASIS_CD3.DOC - contains Glossary, ASIS Usage Examples, I/O & IDL 
Examples and Rationale. 

This version is denoted ASIS Version 2.0.k, dated 7 December 1996. A 
Microsoft Word viewer is available in the public domain through:

Floppy disks containing the ASIS Working Draft are distributed at the 
meeting. ASIS is now ready for the letter ballot. Version 2.0.k will be 
posted to the ASIS Home Page by 10 December 1996 in word, postscript, 
and ASCII versions.

The ASISRG chair expresses thanks to all those who had worked so hard 
to produce the ASIS Working Draft. The ASIS Working Draft was developed 
as a volunteer effort and reflects highly on the cooperative spirit of 
the Ada community. 

Session of the Committee of the Whole: Discussion of ASIS

The Working Group recesses into a Committee of the Whole. Dr. Strohmeier 
leads a discussion on issues related to ASIS. (The issues had been 
phrased by Dr. Strohmeier in an earlier note to WG9.):

1. Positive and negative impacts of a standard

Issue: Some people do not care to have ASIS, others do. Would the former 
ones be impacted negatively by making ASIS a standard? Would those who do
care to have ASIS be impacted negatively by deferring ASIS standardization?


a. ASIS is viewed as a positive interface in that as a tool to support 
code analysis, it was highly complementary to Ada 95 for the safety
-critical, mission-critical software domains. A standardized interface 
could be valuable to the Ada community by encouraging the development 
of high-quality 3rd party tools which support a variety of code analysis 

b. A possible negative impact would be if ASIS were not mature; however,
two implementations of ASIS have already demonstrated tool portability for
simple examples. The WG9 discussion views the excellent cooperation and
acceptance amongst the major Ada implementors (as discussed earlier) as

c. The following issues concerning the existing ASIS specification are

(1) Although the interfaces are standard, the current implementations of 
the library/environment model among the vendors implementing ASIS are 
different. File and directory naming conventions across hardware-
platforms/operating-systems significantly contribute to portability 
problems of a tool. This is viewed as out of scope for the ASIS 

  (2) There is a need for an implementation of ASIS that is in the form 
of, for example, Windows .DLL file, so that a tool vendor does not have 
to recompile the tool's source code each time the ASIS vendor comes out 
with a new version of ASIS. Instead, the most that a tool vendor should 
do is to link the tool to the new .DLL (or equivalent) binary library to 
execute the tool. An IDL approach is provided in the ASIS Working Draft, 
which eliminates the recompile problem, but a dynamic linkable solution 
is desired by many. A dynamic linkable option could perhaps be provided 
by the vendor. Suggestions for how to deal with this issue are welcome.

  (3) There is a need for more of the dynamic semantics to be added to 
ASIS. Dynamic semantics were conscientiously not included in the ASIS 
interface as these were viewed as too difficult. If it is possible to 
standardize on the dynamic semantics, this would have to be a separate
effort and is years away from becoming achievable. The ASIS conformance 
rules do provide the opportunity for an implementor to extend the ASIS 
interface with such a capability.

2. Timeliness

Issue: What are the pros and cons to have an ASIS standard NOW or to 
have a better ASIS only TOMORROW. (As all WG9 members know, no standard 
is ever 100% ready :-)


a. OMG has a model whereby they distribute "standards" right away so 
that people can be thinking about any issues. For example, an early 
version (version 1.1) of one of OMG's standards was distributed (although 
not even close to 100% complete); this was followed relatively quickly 
with version 2.0, which is nearly 100% complete. It is viewed that the 
best way to achieve a viable ASIS interface was to press on with the 
ASIS standardization effort.

b. There is a concern about standardizing the ASIS interface now and 
finding out that additional interfaces are needed. As mentioned, the 
ASIS conformance rules provide several mechanisms to extend the ASIS 
interface for both optional and implementor specific interfaces. ASIS 
can easily be extended, if necessary, by adding extensions to existing 
packages or by adding additional packages. An implementor may want to 
take advantage of this capability to deal with implementor specific 
capabilities and dynamic semantics.

3. ISO standard or industry standard

Issue: Should ASIS be an ISO standard, or just a de facto standard, 
accepted by all or almost all compiler vendors. (Notice that the ASIS 
NWI, formally accepted by WG9, already contains the very reasons for 
which ASIS needs to be an ISO standard. I mention point 3 to be complete; 
if everybody still agrees on this point, then let's save our time, and 
drop the discussion about it :-)


a. Nearly everyone agrees that ASIS should be an ISO standard or else 
nobody would pay attention to it.

b. There is a discussion as to whether ASIS should be a standard or an 
ISO technical report. It is noted that the NWI also stated that ASIS 
should be a standard -- not an ISO Technical Report. A Technical Report 
does not have the same "status" outside of ISO that an ISO standard does. 
Most in the Committee support the position of moving ASIS out as a 
standard now.

Following the session of Committee of the Whole, the meeting of WG9 

The Acting Convener outlined his plan for conducting the letter ballot 
[See ACTION ITEM 31-5]: 

1. According to JTC1 directives, letter ballots should be scheduled for 
60 days plus 14 days for mailing. This ballot will be scheduled so that 
it will complete by March 1. This implies that it must start immediately. 

2. The convener will send a note to the WG9 e-mail distribution list 
asking that each National Body choosing to participate in the ballot 
designate a point of contact (POC). All further correspondence regarding 
the ballot will be pursued with the designated POCs. [See ACTION ITEM 31-4.] 

3. The convener will email the letter ballot instructions to the 
designated national body POCs with a copy to the entire WG9 e-mail 
distribution list. Those instructions will advise the POCs that their 
ballots should discriminate among two types of comments: those that are 
merely suggestions to the ASIS RG; and those that require change so that 
the national body will approve the document. The instructions will quote 
the relevant portions of the New Work Item for the project. The 
instructions will require response by March 1. 

4. The Project Editor will prepare a Working Draft in accordance with 
the comments in the ballot and prepare a Comment Disposition Report for 
consideration at Meeting #32. The Comment Disposition Report should be 
prepared and circulated by May 1. 

5. Approval of the Comment Disposition Report at Meeting #32 will 
authorize the Convener to forward the Working Draft for CD registration.

Report of Ada Rapporteur Group: Erhard Ploedereder, Chair
Project 22.10.01 (IS 8652, Ada Language)

The ARG chair reports that the group met twice recently, in Montreux and 
in Vermont.  He notes that between 1.1.96 and 31.11.96 the number of 
comments submitted to the ARG has grown from approximately 300 
(resulting in 103 Ada Issues) to approximately 650 (resulting in 175 
Ada Issues).  Those 175 issues are now distributed among the steps of 
the ARG process as follows:
- Received by ARG: 19 (versus 0 on 1.1.96)
- Tabled as an ARG Work Item: 46 (59)
- Classified as purely editorial or related only to the AARM: 21 (17)
- Deleted from the ARG program: 3 (0)
- Approved by the ARG: 55 (27)
- Approved by WG9: 31 (0)

The resolutions that the ARG brings to this meeting were previously 
distributed in document N321.  From those draft resolutions, Ada Issues 
123 and 128 are deleted at the request of the ARG.  From the draft 
resolutions, Ada Issue 12 is deleted at the request of the U. S. 
delegation so that it may be placed into correct editorial format.  The 
amended draft resolutions are approved by unanimous vote of all six 
represented member bodies.  [It should also be noted that the head of 
the French delegation had sent a message prior to the meeting that 
France had no objections.]  The final text of the adopted resolutions 
appears in N324.

The ARG Chair notes that the ISO copyright issue is a continuing concern.  
The Acting Convener reiterates his determination to find a satisfactory 
resolution.  The ARG chair suggests that after the issue is resolved, a 
schedule for preparation of a technical corrigenda document should be 
determined.  [See ACTION ITEMS 31-2, 31-8 and 31-9.]  

A short discussion ensues on whether technical details of AIs should 
discussed at WG-9 meetings.  The ARG chair notes that he considers WG-9 
as a final quality assurance step for the processing of AIs and that 
selective discussion might, on occasion, reveal considerations not 
considered by the ARG. In particular, he would appreciate WG-9 guidance 
on how conservative the AIs should be in deciding on changes to the 
standard.  He cites, in particular, AI-141 (which deals with 
inappropriate locations of exception declarations in Interfaces.
C child packages), where the ARG see-sawed between approval of a change 
in Montreux (on technical grounds) and rejection of the change in 
Vermont (on "political" grounds).  The WG-9 chair suggests that such 
AIs be brought explicitly to the attention of WG-9 with due advance 
notice by the ARG chair. [See ACTION ITEMS 31-6 and 31-7.]

Report of Uniformity Rapporteur Group: David Emery, Chair

In accordance with JTC1 Directives Section and, the work 
of the URG is regarded as completed with Meeting #30.

The Acting Convener thanks the former URG Chair, David Emery, and the 
members of the URG for their past contributions.

Report of Annex H Rapporteur Group: Brian Wichmann, Chair

[The Chair of the HRG was unable to attend the meeting, but a copy of 
his report is attached as Appendix 2.  A revision of their guidelines 
draft can be found at "".]

Steve Michell is kind enough to provide an update.  He states that the 
next HRG meeting will occur in February 1997 in France.

Report of Numerics Rapporteur Group: Gil Myers, Chair
Project 22.10.02 (IS 11430, Elementary Functions)
Project 22.10.03 (IS 11729, Primitive Functions)
Project 22.10.04 (DIS 13813, Complex Types and Functions)
Project 22.10.05 (DIS 13814, Complex Elementary Functions)

[No representative attended the meeting.  Concern was expressed 
regarding the unresolved status of the two DIS documents.  See ACTION 
ITEMS 31-10 and 31-11.]

Report of Real-time Rapporteur Group: Nasser Kettani, Chair
Project 22.35 (TR 11735, Real-time Extensions)

The convener reports that the document was published 14 November 1996.

In accordance with JTC1 Directives Section and, the work 
of the RRG is regarded as completed with Meeting #31.

The Acting Convener thanks the RRG Chair, Nasser Kettani, and the 
members of the RRG for their past contributions.

Report of SQL Rapporteur Group: Andreas Koeller, Chair
Project 22.31 (IS 12227, SAMeDL)

The Chair of the SRG, Andreas Koeller, was unable to attend.  In his 
place, Rudolf Landwehr, provided a brief report of the status of ODBC 
(Open Database Connectivity) and its relationship to SAMeDL.  He notes 
that a prototype SAMeDL binding to ODBC is being prepared under funding 
from the German Ministry of Defense.  It was suggested that National 
Bodies should be queried for interest in this area.  [See ACTION ITEM 

Liaisons and Other Related Work

WG4 (Cobol): [No report.]

WG11 (Language Independent Standards):  [No report.  See ACTION ITEM 

WG14 (C):  The convener notes that this Working Group has expressed a 
desire to work closely with other language WGs to specify inter-language 
calling conventions. The ARA or the ARG may be able to effect liaison 
for us.

WG15 (POSIX):  [See resolutions of ACTION ITEMS 30-7 and 30-8.]  Anthony 
Gargaro reports that IEEE project P1003.21 specifies interfaces for 
distributed communication in real-time systems.  An Ada binding is 
planned for this.

WG16 (LISP):  Mathis reports that IS LISP was approved as an ISO 
standard and that the U. S. may propose similar treatment for Scheme 
and Common LISP.  Mathis requests that he be relieved as liaison to 
WG16.  The Acting Convener declares him relieved and thanks him for 
his past contributions.

WG21 (C++):  Joyce Tokar notes that Sam Harbison has resigned as 
convener. Tom Plumb has replaced him. The plan is to ballot a new 
draft in Spring 97.

SC21/WG3 (IRDS): [No report.]

IEEE CS SESC:  Moore notes that he can find no interest in updating 
IEEE Std 990 (PDL/Ada) to the level of Ada 95.  The standard will 
probably be administratively withdrawn in 1997.

Win 32/Ada 95 Binding:  Tokar notes that this binding has been approved 
by the ARA ACE effort.

Joyce Tokar was appointed as the liaison to ARA/ACE.

Bob Mathis was appointed as the liaison to the SC22 Java Study Group.

New Business

Canada proposes a resolution:  "WG9 thanks Robert Mathis for his work 
and leadership, including the behind-the-scenes efforts we could not 
see, for more than ten years in support of Ada standardization."  The 
resolution is approved by acclamation.

Final Consideration of Resolutions

The resolutions are affirmed.  They can be found in document N324.


The meeting is adjourned at 2:45 p. m.

Appendix 1
Action Item Summary

Old Action Items and their Status

ACTION 30-1 [Landwehr]: Landwehr will take from the URG chair the list 
of existing UIs thought to be applicable to Ada 95 and prepare an 
informal document for discussion via email.

Landwehr reports that this will be accomplished by February 15.

ACTION 30-2 [Ploedereder]: The chair of the ARG should contact the Ada 
IC regarding resources to produce the HTML versions of the AIs and UIs 
and to place them on the Web.

Closed.  The Ada IC was contacted.  The item is administratively closed 
and replaced by 31-2.

ACTION 30-3 [All member bodies]: All member bodies should respond to 
the convener regarding the extent of their interest in revising the 
SAMeDL standard or in doing an ODBC binding.

Closed.  No interest has been reported.  After the report of the SRG, 
though, the Acting Convener is asked to again query interest in the 
subject.  ACTION ITEM 31-12 is assigned as a result.

ACTION 30-4 [Michell for HRG]: If the HRG intends to do anything more 
than participate in language maintenance activity, then it must prepare 
a New Work Item for consideration by WG9.

Closed.  Michell reports that this message was carried to the HRG.  
Correspondence between the Acting Convener and the HRG Chair indicates 
that the message was understood. (See Appendix 2.)

ACTION 30-5 [Ploedereder]: Circulate the HRG report on pragma Annotate 
to the ARG for comments.

Closed.  This was accomplished and comments made by the ARG were sent 
to the HRG.  As a result of this (and other activities), the HRG has 
decided not to propose such a pragma at this time.

ACTION 30-6 [Michell for HRG]: Formulate a resolution for consideration 
at the next meeting of WG9 stating the action desired by the HRG.

Closed.  The HRG chair has advised the Acting Convener that a New Work 
Item proposal will be presented at meeting #32.

ACTION 30-7 [Convener]: Determine the status of the ISO standard for the 
POSIX/Ada binding, IS 14519-1:1995.

Closed.  Mathis reports that the standard has been approved.

ACTION 30-8 [Member bodies]: Encourage fast-tracking of IEEE P1003.5b at 
the SC22 level.

Closed.  JTC1 has agreed to "fast track" this standard.

ACTION 30-9 [Convener]: The convener will ascertain the status of the 
WG11 documents.

Closed.  The retiring convener has provided the appropriate SC22 reports 
to the Acting Convener.  This item is administratively closed and 
replaced with 31-13.

New Action Items

ACTION 31-1 [Moore]: Identify an individual or a national body willing 
to assume the duties of recording secretary.

ACTION 31-2 [Moore]: Develop a plan for processing Ada Issues that 
provides for public access to the Issues during a discussion period 
while appropriately conforming with ISO copyright rules regarding the 
preparation of Technical Corrigenda.

ACTION 31-3 [Rapporteur Group Chairs]:  WG9 encourages its Rapporteur 
Groups to schedule their meetings in conjunction with the SC22 plenary 
in Ottawa, 18-22 August 1997.  Each RG chair should correspond with 
Steve Michell regarding their intentions.

ACTION 31-4 [Heads of National Delegations]: Determine a point of 
contact for the imminent letter ballot on ASIS.

ACTION 31-5 [Moore]: Conduct the letter ballot on ASIS.

ACTION 31-6 [Moore]: For meeting #32, designate an agenda item for 
discussion of ARG direction and an agenda item for consideration of 
Ada Issues related to C interfaces.

ACTION 31-7 [Ploedereder]: Prior to meeting #32, prepare an outline of 
issues related to C interfaces so that delegates may prepare themselves 
for a discussion of these issues.

ACTION 31-8 [Moore]: After resolution of the ISO copyright issue, 
determine a schedule for preparation of a technical corrigenda to the 
Ada standard, ISO/IEC 8652.

ACTION 31-9 [Moore]: Forward copies of defect reports from other 
language working groups to the Chair of the ARG.

ACTION 31-10 [Moore]: Contact Don Sando to determine the state of 
DIS 13813.

ACTION 31-11 [Mathis]: Submit DIS 13814 for JTC1 ballot after ensuring 
that there are no dependencies upon the uncompleted DIS 13813.

ACTION 31-12 [Moore]: Again query the national bodies regarding their 
interest in Ada bindings to SQL and ODBC.  Based upon their responses, 
make recommendations concerning the standardization of such bindings.

ACTION 31-13 [Moore]: Examine the report of the SC22 Secretariat to 
summarize the status of LIS projects from WG11.
Appendix 2
Report of the Annex H Rapporteur Group (HRG)

[Prior to the meeting, the following report was distributed by Brian W
ichmann, the Chair of the HRG.]

I had planned to produce an outline of the NWI for the proposed Ada 
Guidelines, but I have not yet been able to do this, and hence I 
suspect it will be too late to be useful. I had not planned to 
formally present a proposal to WG9 until the June 97 meeting in London.

We had a very productive meeting in Boston in October and as a result 
we have a clear view of the nature of the proposed Guidelines. This is 
available either from the minutes of our meeting or the existing draft 
(which just gives a contents list).

Another topic discussed with the pragma Annotate. We concluded that it 
was not worthwhile continuing with this proposal.

A major reason for the delay in producing an outline NWI for WG9 is 
that last week I discovered an ISO group working on integrity levels 
with which we should clearly be coordinating. This is ISO/IEC 
JTC1/SC7/WG9. The convenor of this group is also convenor of
IEC/TC56/WG10, but our contact has been with TC65 which is responsible 
for IEC 1508. I would be very grateful if any WG9(Ada) member has 
contacts with these groups since it could be useful to us.

Currie Colket attended the last HRG meeting which I hope implies that 
the HRG Guidelines will be fully compatible with ASIS, which could be 
of great practical importance.


Meeting #31 of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9
Saturday, 7 December 1996
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Reported by James W. Moore, Convener (Acting), 703.883.7396

1.  WG9 approves the following AIs, which have been previously approved 
by the ARG:

AI95-00003/00 -- Access types declared in shared passive generic packages
AI95-00004/05 -- Conversions to types derived from remote access types
AI95-00007/00 -- Typo: Enumeration_IO would allow instantiation for an 
[float] {integer} type
AI95-00014/01 -- ... and {its calling convention} shall not be Intrinsic.
AI95-00031/02 -- Unpacking a record type with primitive subprograms
AI95-00035/03 -- Type descriptors can be laid out at compile time
AI95-00037/06 -- In Interfaces.C, nul and wide_nul represent zero
AI95-00040/04 -- A box for a formal subprogram_default freezes the actual
AI95-00041/07 -- Program unit pragmas in generic units
AI95-00044/04 -- Overriding by Implicit Declarations
AI95-00048/07 -- An RCI unit can be a library subprogram
AI95-00059/01 -- Specifying Storage size for tasks
AI95-00063/04 -- Erroneous execution for closing default files
AI95-00071/02 -- Correction to the Valid function in COBOL Interface
AI95-00072/02 -- Clarification of result length for conversions in COBOL 
AI95-00073/00 -- Pragmas are allowed in generic_formal_parts.
AI95-00074/01 -- Pragma Inline Requires an Argument
AI95-00087/02 -- Saving and restoring Current_Output
AI95-00089/04 -- Float_Random.Value, Discrete_Random.Value
AI95-00092/05 -- Priority changes due to Set_Priority and Hold are not 
AI95-00106/05 -- Freezing Rules
AI95-00107/05 -- Base attribute for non-scalar subtypes?
AI95-00108/02 -- Inheritance of Stream Attributes for Type Extensions
AI95-00110/03 -- No Constraint Check on 'out' Parameter of an Access Type
AI95-00112/03 -- Wide_String file names
AI95-00115/00 -- Controlled types in language-defined generic packages
AI95-00118/03 -- Termination signals query of Terminate attribute
AI95-00127/04 -- Expected type of a 'Access attribute
AI95-00134/01 -- Source Representation
AI95-00136/05 -- Placement of Program Unit Pragmas in Generic Packages
AI95-00137/01 -- Attribute definition clause for Stream Attributes
AI95-00139/02 -- Interfaces.C.Strings.Value Raises Constraint_Error 
when Length is 0
AI95-00140/01 -- Semantics of Interfaces.C.Strings.To_Char_Ptr when 
Nul_Check is False

2.  WG9 approves the following confirmation AIs, which have been previously approved by the ARG: 

AI95-00006/01 -- private child in with_clause
AI95-00018/03 -- Inconsistency with Ada 83 in the definition of 
AI95-00025/02 -- Matching rules for generic formal access-to-constant 
AI95-00032/01 -- visible part of a renaming
AI95-00042/02 -- use of incomplete types
AI95-00045/02 -- Servicing of entry calls is part of a protected action
AI95-00077/02 -- Separate compilation of generic bodies
AI95-00078/02 -- semantic dependence on illegal or obsolete units

3.  WG9 approves the following AIs, which have been previously approved 
by the ARG:

AI95-00033/04 -- delayed declaration of inherited primitive subprograms
AI95-00034/02 -- Unconstrained Formal types
AI95-00095/02 -- Modular types on one's complement machines.
AI95-00097/05 -- Conversions between access types with different 
AI95-00121/04 -- Pragma Attach_Handler on Nested Objects
AI95-00124/03 -- The AE characters are allowed in identifiers
AI95-00145/02 -- Profile of predefined operators for scalar types

4.  WG9 thanks the retiring convener, Robert Mathis, for his work and 
leadership, including the behind-the-scenes efforts we could not see, 
for more than ten years in support of Ada standardization.

______________________end of document SC22 N2361 ____________________