European Localization Requirements
Exigences européennes de la localisation
Recommendations of the second workshop on the Euro in IT standards
1. Transfer of finance and electronic commerce
1.1 Registration of currency code
- Recommendation 1.1: TC304 secretariat to obtain two documents (the application and the approval) from BSI and circulate it to TC304 and to SC2.
2. Output: International registration of the EURO SIGN glyph
2.1 Registration of Euro sign with AFII
- Recommendation 2.1.1: The workshop recommends that TC304 nominate Michael Everson and Karl-Ivar Larsson to assist DGIII/B to register a single generic glyph in the AFII registry, using the input from ED13, ED14, and ED15.
2.3 Design of OCR glyphs
- Recommendation 2.3.1 Karl-Ivar Larsson to submit a paper on ("How do we achieve the adding of Euro sign to OCR-B")
2.4 Design of Euro sign glyphs in ordinary fonts
- Recommendation 2.4.1: Workshop recommends to the Informatics Department of the European Commission that
a set of "best-practice" typographic guidelines as regards EURO SIGN glyph variations
be drawn up and made available, on the Web and elsewhere, to provide guidance to
typographers for producing fonts supporting the EURO SIGN.
3. Input: Keyboard layouts
3.1 Euro sign in ISO/IEC 9995-3
- Recommendation 3.1.1: Erkki Kolehmainen to provide the discussion list address for JTC1/WG9.
- Recommendation 3.1.2: National bodies to participate in the JTC1/WG9 discussion of the Canadian proposal before its meeting in November.
3.2 Euro sign on national keyboards
- Recommendation 3.2.1: National bodies to consider the Commission proposal in ED10 and the Microsoft proposal, the implications of each and to comment on it to the TC by 1st December.
3.3 Euro sign in banking terminals
- Recommendation 3.3: TC304 secretariat to press ISO TC68 to answer the question, do they need the EURO SIGN on banking terminals?
4. Electronic code for information interchange
4.1 Euro sign in ISO/IEC 10646
- Recommendation 4.1: TC304 to continue to monitor the addition of the EURO SIGN
to ISO/IEC 10646.
4.2 Euro sign in European subsets
- Recommendation 4.2: In parallel with the addition of the EURO SIGN to ISO/IEC 10646, TC304 should revise the Minimum and Extended European Subsets (ENV 1973) to include the character as well.
4.3 Euro sign in 8-bit coded character sets
- Recommendation 4.3: TC304 to continue to investigate the need for inclusion
of the EURO SIGN in 8-bit coded character sets for all platforms.
4.5 Euro sign in 7-bit systems
- Recommendation 4.5.1:In 7-bit environments, the 3-letter code EUR is recommended. Clause 7 or clause 6.4.3 of ISO 646:1981 can also be applied if needed.
4.6 Euro sign in barcodes and printers
- Recommendation 4.6.1: TC304 secretariat to follow up the EURO SIGN in barcodes with CEN/TC225.
- Recommendation 4.6.2: Printers should be discussed at the next workshop.
5. Other aspects
5.2 Sorting and matching aspects
- Recommendation 5.2: TC304 should consider sorting and matching
aspects of the EURO SIGN.
5.3 Writing amounts and simultaneous rendering
- Recommendation 5.3: TC304 should consider the ways in which Euro amounts
and simultaneous rendering of the Euro will be written.
5.5 Interoperability aspects
- Recommendation 5.5: TC304 should consider the
interoperability aspects of the EURO SIGN.
CEN/TC 304 Secretariat - Staðlaráð Íslands - STRÍ, Keldnaholti, 112 Reykjavík
Secretary: Þorgeir Sigurðsson